Smart launches prepaid eSIM
An eSIM or embedded SIM is a digital version of a physical SIM card that virtually identifies your device to offer network connectivity. It can be programmed remotely using software and is embedded into contemporary smartphones, so you won’t have to buy a new SIM card if you switch phones or cellular providers.
The eSIM was only available in the networks as postpaid since there were only a few phones that supported it. But now, Smart Communications offers a prepaid eSIM, which is good news for some users of eSIM-capable devices like me.
This new Smart Prepaid eSIM is only worth PHP 99 and includes up to 21 GB of free data as well as unlimited calls and texts to all networks.
We ask Smart if we can use our existing Smart number and they answered yes. However, we don’t know the procedure yet.
According to Smart, it will be available in all Smart Stores, in selected sales channels and touchpoints in NCR starting July 7, 2023, while Nationwide starting July 14, 2023. You can also buy it at their Lazada store.
Buying it on the Smart Online store will take a Delivery time of 1-2 business days in Metro Manila, 2-3 business days in Luzon, and 5-7 business days in Visayas and Mindanao. Shipping is free nationwide.
How to activate your Smart Prepaid eSIM?
FOR ANDROID DEVICES:
- Connect to any WiFi network/Cellular Data.
- Go to Settings click on Connections menu.
- Select SIM card manager and Add Mobile plan.
- Click on Add using QR code.
- Scan QR code.
- Select Add Cellular Plan.
- Click on OK to turn on new mobile plan.
- Your new SIM profile will be displayed.
- Register SIM at http://smart.com.ph/simreg to fully activate mobile services & receive freebies.
FOR APPLE DEVICES:
- Ensure that you have iOS version 12.4 and above.
- Connect to any WiFi network/Cellular Data
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Cellular Network.
- Click “Add Cellular Plan” or “Add eSIM”.
- Camera will automatically launch
- Scan the QR voucher.
- You will be prompted that you have already downloaded the Smart Prepaid SIM.
- Register SIM at http://smart.com.ph/simreg to fully activate mobile services & receive freebies
Just do take note that using eSIM is also similar to physical SIM card, it means they have the same way of buying a load or registering a promo. You can still buy a load using a load card, via E-wallet, or to your nearest retail store.
Some of the devices that support eSIM are Samsung S20 and up, iPhone XR and up, and even laptops such as Microsoft Surface Go. You may know if your device supports eSIM by checking it on the official website of your device or by visiting www.esimcard.com/esim-compatible.